There are few things as frustrating as being exhausted and not being able to fall asleep. Everyone from time to time has trouble falling asleep but if it you can’t sleep on a frequent basis you may have insomnia.
Insomnia is a rather broad term for the most common sleep complaint. Insomnia can be characterized by one or several of the following symptoms:
- difficulty falling asleep
- difficulty staying asleep
- waking up during the night
- having trouble going back to sleep
- waking earlier than desired in the morning
- not feeling rested after a night’s sleep
Although a common complaint, insomnia should not be dismissed as a simple issue. The potential causes for insomnia vary greatly and are different for each individual. Insomnia can be a result of:
- underlying medical issues
- stress / anxiety
- medication / prescriptions
- hormone imbalances
- psychological conditions
- alcohol / drugs
- food / drink
- habits / behaviours
The good news is that most symptoms of insomnia can be managed without the need for medication.
Contact us today to speak to one of our qualified sleep therapists who can help you with a customized sleep diagnosis.